- Come before something in time
- Come before in order or position
- Go before someone or something
Understanding precede (verb)
- Page 1 comes before page 2.
- Page 1 precedes page 2.
- Sunday precedes Monday.
- Much practice precedes a concert.
- When they boarded the airplane, his family preceded him.
Understanding preceding (adjective)
- preceding page
- preceding day
- preceding year
- Please read page twenty-two and the preceding page in your textbook.
- They had been studying since the preceding day.
- Preceding the trial, there had been much discussion in the news.