One of the most important skills that you can learn in college is how to take accurate notes. Below are some tips on how to develop your own style of note taking.
Why should I take notes?
- helps us distinguish major from minor points
- helps us process necessary information
- provides a clearer picture of the information
- helps us remember necessary information
How should I organize my notes?
- Use an outline. Write details under main ideas
- Use words or phrases. You do not have enough time to write sentences.
- Use symbols to represent words or ideas.
- Paraphrase or summarize main ideas and details
- Do not copy EXCEPT when
- terms are used (medical, scientific, etc.)
- formulas are used
- definitions are used
- specific facts are used